Black Hawk Party boat fishing recipes
Now that you’ve caught your fish, how will you cook it? Stay tuned here for some great recipes those of us at the Black Hawk love!
Black Hawk Striped Bass Crab Cakes
- 2 pounds of freshly skinned striped bass
- 2 heaping tablespoons of mayo
- 1 heaping tablespoon of dijon mustard
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of Italian flavored bread crumbs
- 1 cup of chopped onions
- 1 cup of chopped green peppers
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 2 teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Clean the fillets- be sure to remove all the red meat. Then cut bass into 4″ pieces
- Poach until done- white and flakey, about 10 minutes
- Place cooked fish in colander and press out as much water as possible. Leave in colander to cool
- Chop all vegetables into very small pieces
- Saute green peppers, onions and celery in olive oil until tender. Set aside to cool
To Make Cakes:
- In large mixing bowl- combine mayo, eggs and vegetables
- Add in Red Bay and pepper flakes
- Flake the fish and add to the mixture.Mix until well combined. Do not over mix!
- Mix in bread crumbs a little at a time, until the mixture is easy to form into patties. Don’t add all the breadcrumbs at once or the mixture will become hard.
- Using your hands, form cakes from the mixture.
For best results, refrigerate cakes for at least an hour before cooking!
To cook: fry pan in olive oil and butter until browned and heated through. Alternatively, you can bake the cake for 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve with tartar sauce or cocktail sauce!
Striped Bass and Shrimp Ceviche
Thank you Tony S for this recipe!
- 1 lb. super fresh wild striped bass fillet- skinned (all red tinged flesh removed)- cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 lb. large cocktail cooked shrimp- cut into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces
- 10 fresh limes- Juiced
- 1 orange- Juiced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 a red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large or 2 small jalapeno peppers- finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper- finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper- finely chopped
- 1 orange or yellow pepper- finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped (stems removed) cilantro
- 2 medium tomatoes (in season)- diced or 1 cup of cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 2 T olive oildash of salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup olives (your choice)- finely chopped
- 2 ripe avocados- 1/4 inch cubes (save a few pieces for garnish)
- 2 slices of lime (for garnish)
- Tortilla chips
In a bowl, combine juices (enough to submerge fish) add fish and cover and refrigerate for about 2-4 hours (your choice). Remove most of citrus juice (leave enough for a light sauce). Gently stir in rest of ingredients. Serve in small bowls or martini glasses and garnish with extra avocado cubes and lime slices. Serve with tortilla chips.
Shoreline Striped Bass
A very easy and delicious way to prepare our famous stripers from Long Island Sound.
Thank you Kim P for this recipe!
Serves 4, or 2 very generously
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Spray 9×13″ baking dish with PAM
- Filet and skin bass and cut into serving-size portions
- Place 1 stack Ritz crackers, salt & pepper to taste, a few good shakes of onion powder or garlic powder, a shake of cayenne pepper (optional if you like it spicy), and some chopped parsley into a ziplock bag. Feel free to experiment with seasonings
- Seal bag and crush with rolling pin to make seasoned crumbs. Place crumbs in low wide dish
- Melt a stick of butter. Dip both sides of fillets in melted butter
- Dip one side only of filet in crumbs. Place in baking dish crumb side up. When all fish have been coated, sprinkle remaining crumbs over fish.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven apx. 15-20 min. per 1″ of fish- give or take, or until it is opaque/white and flakes easily. Serve immediately with lemon wedges. For a special presentation, instead of the 9×13″ pan, you can bake the fillets in small individual oval dishes just like a restaurant.
Linda Too Bluefish Salad
- Cut away dark parts of filets and throw them away
- Steam the filets until the thick parts are done (about 5 minutes, maybe slightly more or less)
- Refrigerate until filets are cool
- Flake the fish into a bowl. Add minced onion, minced celery, coars ground pepper, mayo and sweet relish to taste
- Serve alone or on sandwiches!